fresh cut grass, lemon
supporting
Royalist
threadlog
encounters
writer
Stone

to live & die

It was only a matter of time before this had happened to the boy. His poor life choices had forced the male to make terrible decisions. He should have listened to the angel. She told him not to go. She told him not to fight for some king. He had been saved by her and should he have listened, he would have been saved a second time. But he was the fool. He made a terrible decision and forced his sister to do something she probably did not mean to do. He woke up from his attackers alone in a cell. He was tired and very hungry. When was the last time he had eaten or drank anything? When was he even awake last? How much time had passed since he was knocked unconscious? He did not know the answers. Part of him was afraid to know the truth. He stood up, and with the new shift of the weight, he fell back to the ground. His shoulder was throbbing in pain. Moving to sit up, he whimpered to himself. Pitiful. What would father say if he saw his son like this?

Riften closed his eyes and let out a melancholy howl. It was low at first, soft - almost a whisper. As he tilted his head backwards, the volume increased. Riften sang louder now, the sound vibrating off the walls and cold bars that encapsulated him. After a while, Riften's sorrow turned to rage and he hobbled closer to the bars. His jaws attacked the iron, trying to break free. When it failed, he barked at the walls "Let me out! I'm just a kid!" He shouted with anger, hoping that someone would come to see what to commotion was all about. Maybe they would bring him some food? "I just want to go home!"

"And the heart longs for its equal."

@Lenora

code by claerie
11-14-2023, 09:14 PM

Apprentice

from Rionnach
size
Extra Large
scent
warm cardamom & cedarwood
supporting
Royalist
home
Yorkshire
threadlog
golden
writer
Di

Lenora had elected not to stay. That alone caused her great shame, that she did not stay with her fellow soldiers and head into the final ring. Whatever was happening there, she could not be a part of it -- not from the moment her comrades clapped Riften in chains and carted him away. She had had only one thought since then: get to him. Of course, she had been waylaid by formalities and due process. Sorting through the prisoners took time, she was told. Even imploring Colonel Verlice, with all his power and influence, did no good. She had to wait until the next day, when the papers had been signed and the chaos had died down.

As soon as she was permitted, she stole down to the dungeons. Her gait was quick. She had not been touched during the third battle -- not even a scratch. It was a miracle, she knew. The Jacobite woman had repeatedly turned away from her, urging her to leave. Whatever that meant... She couldn't dwell on it. The sword cut both ways, anyway. She'd seen Asher do the same to her brother. She couldn't start being a bleeding heart for the Jacobites just because one of them showed her a strange type of mercy.

When she reached the dungeons proper, she was stopped by a guard. She firmly told him her name, and he let her through. Whether that was because of her own authority to be there or because she'd been seen around with Colonel Verlice and his son, Kenzo, she did not know. She only had thoughts for her brother, who was... who was gnawing at the bars, shouting for help. "I just want to go home!" Her blood ran cold and she sprinted the last few steps before she appeared in a flurry outside of his cell. "Riften," she gasped, and the word was suddenly a choked sob as tears flooded into her eyes. He looked...well, he looked bad. She had been responsible for some of that. But the fact that he was here at all? She couldn't take the blame.

She immediately went up to the bars, tears streaming down her cheeks as she struggled to maintain her composure. "I -- I'm sorry, I didn't want you to get hurt, that's why I -- " she could hardly get the words out for crying. But then, a moment later, she felt that old rush and said with the authority of an oldest sibling: "What the hell is going on?"

""

table by ferus, image by sylvirr, bg from unsplash
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2023, 04:02 PM by Lenora.)
11-16-2023, 03:53 PM

vigilante

from
size
Medium
scent
fresh cut grass, lemon
supporting
Royalist
threadlog
encounters
writer
Stone

to live & die

He hung his head in shame, the tears welling in his eyes. He could not believe this was his fate. He could have cried right then and there, only to hear his name called. The tone of the voice, he knew it too well. It was that of his sister. Surely she had come here to shame him, to make him feel worse than he already had been feeling. He almost didn't want to look at her. Almost. Overcome with emotions Lenora was hard to understand between her stuttering and sobbing, but he knew what she was trying to say. She apologized to him, and he should have chimed in with something to help her not feel so bad about herself - but he recalled what had happened before he was knocked unconscious. It was her fault. She could have chosen to defend him, to try and protect him from the others. But she didn't. She failed her own flesh and blood.

"Lenora..." he finally said, "just stop." He sobbing had practically dried up and now she was going off on him as though she was his mother. He lifted his head now and stared at her, dead pan in the face. No emotions eradiated from the young male. His eyes locked onto her, and he could see the places on her face where the tears had fallen from. For some reason, he was stunted from giving her any sense of emotion in return. He felt like he was dead on the inside, only wishing that he could have taken it all back and ran away with the angel. "Why don't you go ask your little friends?" His tone was deep and malicious. He meant for the words to cut her, to show her that she had picked the imperial soldiers over her own brother. "Nobody understands me, so why does it matter anyway?" His voice was now low and he hung his head against the bars once again.

@Lenora

code by claerie
11-16-2023, 05:05 PM

Apprentice

from Rionnach
size
Extra Large
scent
supporting
Royalist
home
Yorkshire
threadlog
golden
writer
Di

She wasn't sure what she expected. Relief to see her, for starters. And then, probably, gratitude. But she didn't get anything from Riften that she expected. He spoke her name, and then told her to stop, in a voice she had never heard him use before -- one that was devoid of emotion. His eyes were lifeless, too. It felt like a slap in the face of her still-wet cheeks, her impassioned words. He was just staring at her, with...nothing there. And then: "Why don't you go ask your little friends?" She flinched back, as if he had struck her. No emotion in his face, but venom in his voice. She saw the line in the sand he had drawn.

"Nobody understands me, so why does it matter anyway?" He hung his head then, pressing his forehead to the bars. She took several deep breaths, trying to measure her response. It had been so long since they'd seen each other. So long. And this was it? After everything? Did he even know what had happened with their parents? Did he even care? Or had he been gallivanting around with the Jacobites the whole time, betraying everything they had believed in? "I saved you," she said, her voice still wavering but now taking on an almost incredulous tone.

"This wasn't exactly how I hoped it would work out, but I can talk to them. I can get you out of here." She didn't care that he'd just spoken to wound her. She could put that aside because of how much she loved him. He was just...this was just... "You'll just tell them you went -- went mad for a second. Mom and Dad have been away, there's been so much going on... Just tell them you made a mistake. I can convince them to let you go." To Lenora, this made perfect sense and was a reasonable request -- because there was no way Riften was serious. There was no way she'd give his sullen pouting one ounce of credibility. Riften was a lot of things, but she'd never thought him stupid, and to join the Jacobites was nothing short of insane.

""

11-16-2023, 07:06 PM

vigilante

from
size
Medium
scent
fresh cut grass, lemon
supporting
Royalist
threadlog
encounters
writer
Stone

to live & die

Riften had only looked at his sister a little bit from their conversation, but what he saw was shock and awe in her form. She was shocked to hear him speak how he was? Was she crazy? Did she not know where he was? Did she not understand that he was trapped in this place with nowhere to run? When she made the comment that she saved him, he laughed. It was low at first until the sound was so loud and fake that it echoed off the walls. He raised his eyes to lock onto his delusional sister. "You saved me?" He scoffed at her. "I am in jail... a prisoner..." He stared at her, as if to say with his eyes 'are you really that dense?' Now she was going on about how she would talk to her friends and find a way for him to get out... but why didn't she do that in the beginning? Why didn't she try to protect him before?

"You think I am crazy?" he was asking her honestly. He wanted to know if she had the guts to be honest with him. Father was honest, he was wrong, but he was honest. "I did make a mistake. But it was not being there on the battlefield. I am not there for Jacob. I was not even there for myself, but for someone I care about deeply. What do you know about that? I would do anything for her." He was not going to go into the whole spiel of it all, like he had with father - though now it was a different female entirely. They didn't need to know that, father did not need to be right - right now. Looking back, maybe it was a puppy crush, but what he felt for the angel - that was real. She really saved him.

"Go and tell your friends that I am insane, insane with disbelief that my own sister would turn her back on me. Of all the ones who could hurt me... it had to be you." With the mention of their parents, he had to admit he was curious. But would she just tell him what he wanted to know? Now that he had yelled, insulted, and tried to hurt her feelings? "Where did they go?" Did she know of the interaction between he and father? Was she going to judge him too? She was probably already doing it.

@Lenora

code by claerie
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2023, 07:28 PM by Riften.)
11-16-2023, 07:27 PM

Apprentice

from Rionnach
size
Extra Large
scent
supporting
Royalist
home
Yorkshire
threadlog
golden
writer
Di

He laughed at her, but that was not the right word: cackle was more appropriate. The sound bounced grotesquely off the walls. "You saved me? I am in jail... a prisoner..." Derision dripped from his words. "You think I am crazy?" She just stared at him, like she was seeing him for the first time. "I did make a mistake. But it was not being there on the battlefield. I am not there for Jacob. I was not even there for myself, but for someone I care about deeply. What do you know about that? I would do anything for her." Lenora continued to stare, and stare, and stare, her tears drying on her cheeks, and no new tears budding to replace them.

"Go and tell your friends that I am insane, insane with disbelief that my own sister would turn her back on me. Of all the ones who could hurt me... it had to be you." He landed blow after blow. It was like he was outside the cage and she was the one locked in it for how he held her in his verbal grasp, punch after punch after punch. And then, as if it had only just occurred to him: "Where did they go?" Their parents. Of course, now, his voice was different. Open curiosity, not hostility. How quickly the tables turned when there was something he wanted. She continued to look at him, her lavender eyes roving across his face...looking for some semblance of the brother she remembered. How long had it truly been since she'd last seen him? Had he always been like this, and she just had been blind to it?

"I haven't turned my back on you," she said after a long pause, her voice quiet. "An answer for an answer." She suddenly did not trust that he'd tell her anything without leverage, and the realization made her sick -- utterly sick. He was just...different. And while some part of her wanted to throw the vitriol back at him, to tell him what thoughts were really in her head, she just couldn't bring herself to do it. He was her brother, even though he might hate her now. She had to protect him, even if he would spit and snarl and spite her the whole time. She hated bartering with him. She hated feeling like she had to. "Who were you fighting for? Who is the woman? Riften, the truth. Then I'll tell you about Mom and Dad."

""

11-17-2023, 08:40 AM

vigilante

from
size
Medium
scent
fresh cut grass, lemon
supporting
Royalist
threadlog
encounters
writer
Stone

to live & die

She didn't even react to him the way he thought she would. Maybe Lenora was seeing through him? No, that was impossible. She had chosen her path, and he had picked his. Though his seemed to be the worst of the two. She would follow after father, probably picking him as her idol, someone to mimic. Riften relied on his heart to tell him what to do, where to go. Finally she responded, but now she was playing a game with him. If she truly cared for him, would she not tell him what was going on with their parents? He had to wonder what her motive was and why was it so important to her to know who the female who had stolen his heart was. Even if he knew her name, he would never tell her or any of them. He did not wish to be verbally accosted again by those who shared his blood. "Is this really what this has come down to? Surely our parents are far more important than some female."

He wanted to pull the attention off his angel, to lure her back to the real issue before them. Mother and father, where were they? Why did they leave? What had happened? He knew better than to act like he was desperate to know, so he held back his emotions. In his mind, everything was so mixed up and he really wasn't sure how he felt about father. Mother had done nothing to him, nothing to break his heart, but his conversation with his father left very much more to be desired between them. He wished he had never spoken a word of his feelings to the military male. "You don't know her, nobody knows her but me." His words were cold, his gaze like steel. He was not going to just warm up and be nice to her for acting as she had. Yes, he threw the tantrum, but he was sure the tables would be turned had she been the one to be locked up, and he would have done more than what she did.

He told himself that he would have found another way. "Sister, just tell me what happened to mother and father... please?" His voice had softened and so had his eyes. He was not getting his way playing it hard, so he figured that if he pulled from beneath his hard exterior and tugged at her heart, she would reveal what he wanted to hear without having to divulge anymore about the female.

@Lenora

code by claerie
11-17-2023, 04:16 PM

Apprentice

from Rionnach
size
Extra Large
scent
supporting
Royalist
home
Yorkshire
threadlog
golden
writer
Di

"Is this really what this has come down to? Surely our parents are far more important than some female." Her heart sank. She did not know this person who pretended to be her brother, who berated her and then attempted to manipulate her. Riften did not even look like he was curious. He stared at her with a detachment that set her on edge. "You don't know her, nobody knows her but me." He held back. She knew it because of the way he was looking at her, with a firmness that belied his distrust. She felt the distance grow wider between them with every passing minute.

Lenora felt off balance when he suddenly changed his tune. His eyes softened, his voice grew warmth. "Sister, just tell me what happened to mother and father... please?" She desperately wanted to believe it was real. But she was smarter than he clearly thought. Truth was often spoken in anger, and he had been angry before. She believed what he'd said then. This now... Was this a ploy? She could not shake the fact that he was on the other side from her brain. What if she told him where their parents were? What if he did something with that? But then... They were hiding from the Royalists, weren't they? Technically, the Imperial Army was the reason they were not home. And if Riften stood on the Jacobite side, well, at least that made clear that he wasn't going to hurt them. She shook her head. This was confusing, and she hated the bad taste it put in her mouth. She had to think about this later. So she refocused on him.

She felt a slight twinge as she gave in and lost his little battle. "They're on the run. They haven't been here for weeks. Last I saw them was in Melrose, but I assume they've left after everything." He'd been gone for a long time. Maybe he'd want to know more. Maybe he'd have more questions. But she did, too. And he'd already proven that he would not play fair. "A lot has happened without you. I hope that whoever you are chasing is worth it." She meant it sincerely, even though her voice was tight. There was a sudden commotion, the sound of keys jangling. They only allowed limited visits with prisoners, and she knew that sound well -- it meant her time was up. "I'll try to come back soon," she said, her eyes lingering on his face, searching desperately for something familiar. When the guard came to haul her out, she gave him one last look but couldn't think of anything to say. She walked with them wordlessly away, and when she got out of his earshot, she asked for them to feed him and stood in the shadows until they went his direction with a meal. At least there was enough love left between them for that.

-exit Lenora-

""

11-26-2023, 03:05 PM

vigilante

from
size
Medium
scent
fresh cut grass, lemon
supporting
Royalist
threadlog
encounters
writer
Stone

to live & die

Riften's anger had caused so much distrust between he and his sister, but he didn't see it that way. She was the one who had caused the issues here. She attacked him physically, knocking him out so he could be taken by the enemy. She could have fought her "friends" to save him, or at least spoke up for him. But no, she chose violence. At this moment, he could not forgive her for it. Maybe in the future, he would? But for now, there was no hope of resolving their conflict. Neither of them wanted to divulge information, and both of them wanted it so badly. Lenora was strong to be able to see through his tactics, surely something the scummy Imperials had taught her, no doubt. She answered him... kinda. She didn't really give a position of where to find them or how. He would need to do that all on his own. Riften stared at her, trying to keep the softness in his eyes. But it did not work. She was already trying to leave him, and would do it successfully. He heard the jingling of the keys, though I meant nothing to him.

"Lenora!" he shouted as she moved from his sight. He could hear her hushed tone, but not the words she spoke to the guard. "LENORA!" he shouted louder, but a different figure came into view. The guard walked towards the cell and opened the door to toss the slop on the floor for him. Riften stood back and for a second, he thought about rushing the door, but even with just stepping away from it, he could feel the pain moving in his body. Once the guard left, he moved back to the bars of the cell and cried out to his sister, tears streaming down his face, "Lenora please...?" But he knew she was gone, probably off to go spend some time with her friends.

[Exit Riften.]

@Lenora

code by claerie
11-30-2023, 09:30 PM
Thread Closed