[ P ] wish i may

Male 4 Lowlander Commonwealth Retired Soldier
Royalist

renown
Large • Berries

fall on your sword
posted 10-16-2021, 07:38 AM - Word count:

T

he subtle pressure in his chest had become a solid stone of regret once the vibrant flowers and aroma of spring hit his senses. Once again he was a child frolicking through the fields of Melrose after butterflies and bumble bees under the watchful eye of his mother. Her memory brought force a scowl to his previously unrumpled features. Argent hadn't returned here for nostalgia, but for a routine check up with a doctor. They gave him the same news. His injury was unchanged, neither worse nor better. The broken ribs hadn't miraculously knitted together over the past season. Part of him had foolishly allowed himself to hope that maybe he just needed a little more time, maybe it was just taking a little longer for him.

Physically Argent was fit and healthy, his daily swimming sessions with the Colonel had done wonders for his stamina. Once the doctor had applied pressure to his chest he was reminded of how helpless the pain made him. He would be a liability on the battlefield and that crushed his pride and last slither of hope. During the ball he hadn’t been much use either, crowd control at best when chaos had erupted and the king had been targeted. He’d done his best to evacuate people from the castle while the soldiers battled the enemy.

A gruff sigh passed through downturned lips. Spring was normally the time the barracks would be full of fresh recruits that the former captain would be helping to train. He considered dropping by later to watch them train, maybe grumble at some of the newbies about how they were doing it all wrong.

art and code by Yahtzee-Penguiduck

Merrin Etherea
Female 6 Outlander Commonwealth Knight's Apprentice
Undecided

renown
Medium • Lilac, vanilla, and warm cardamom

Diary of Merrin
posted 10-18-2021, 06:05 PM - Word count:

Spring had truly shown itself here in the fields of Melrose. The floral vibrancy in itself was enough to lift anyone’s spirit, she imagined. Hers felt it was soaring at the sight of such magnificent rolling hills. Today was an off-day for her. No training, No serving the public. It was a day to connect with herself and practice some self-care. In fact, the Zyphears insisted that this was a vastly important part to any sort of routine.

She eventually found herself laying among the colorful blooms and eventually even drifting off into a light sleep under the warmth of the sun’s rays. Merrin woke with a start with the rustling of the grasses and flowers parting for someone moving through the meadow in her direction. The woman sat up, revealing her positioning as she had not been clearly visible when she was sleeping. Her eyes refocused to find that nearby her was a figure glowing brightly as the sunlight traced highlights throughout his stark white coat.

At first she thought it might have been the more aggressive brute she had met before, so she got to her feet instantly. Upon closer inspection, she discovered that he did not share the same eye color as Pythus nor the same coloring around the muzzle. Merrin lifted her nose to take in his scent past the pleasant aroma of her floral bed and realized, she truly did not know this gentleman. He appeared to be in a bad mood, but perhaps he simply had a burden that she could possibly bear for him to lighten his load. “Well met, good sir! Are you in need of some assistance?””

@Argent

table by Yahtzee-Penguiduck [da], click for attributions

Royalist

renown
Large • Berries

fall on your sword
posted 10-22-2021, 06:12 AM - Word count:

C

onfusion flickered through his stormy gaze when the sound of a soft and polite voice reached his ears. The well trained diplomacy in which she addressed him was unexpected. Argent cocked his large head, trying to pinpoint the lady in question and found her standing amongst the flowers as if she had just sprouted from the earth herself like a rare lupine bloom. He hadn't noticed her there before and wondered if his honed senses were becoming dulled by an unregimented civilian lifestyle. It was yet another rounded edge that needed to be sharpened lest he truly become the washed up ex-soldier he believed himself to be.

"No. I don't need a doctor," he answered gruffly, mistakenly thinking she was one of them. Then realising he might have come across as rude and abrupt he added. "I saw one of your colleagues. No need to trouble yourself."

It didn't occur to him that she wasn't part of the college. Doctors made him anxious. It was obvious in the large man's posture that he was nervous. The way he fidgeted with his large paws and glanced back at her like she was just waiting to prod at his ribs. He wouldn't admit to himself that he might be close to developing a full blown phobia of wolves that practiced medicine. It was hard enough for a battle hardened man to admit that they were a source of anxiety for him when he had faced greater threats on the battlefield.

Merrin Etherea
Undecided

renown

Diary of Merrin
posted 10-24-2021, 08:32 AM - Word count:

Merrin blinked at him in mild confusion, here ears flattening slightly with the gruff tone of his voice. She’d somewhat expected this reaction by his demeanor, but not the assumption of a title that she was not deserving of. She opened her mouth to dismiss it, but he spoke again and she chuckled with a shake of her head. “Oh, no sir, I’m not a doctor, nor any level of healer in the silghtest.”

She corrected him gently, studying his body language and trying to determine the cause of what felt to her like anxiety. Merrin offered a warm smile and the friendly wag of a tail, in attempts to show she was no threat to him.

“You appeared troubled is all…I thought I might be able to help in some way?” She questioned uncertainly, now finding herself curious as to why he’d just be visiting a doctor. By the way he spoke and acted, he was the one receiving treatment although outwardly, she could not tell why he needed it.

@Argent

Royalist

renown
Large • Berries

fall on your sword
posted 10-25-2021, 05:13 PM - Word count:

D

ue to their proximity to the heart of the college, Argent had assumed the purple eyed women to a healer and that her question had been concerning his health. Her correction made him realise that he had been too hasty to label her. Her lack of medical expertise rendered her harmless and the tension in his muscles loosened like a knot becoming untied. "Oh," Argent muttered, a little bit embarrassed by his mistake. He hadn't expected a well meaning stranger to inquire about his well being. Especially not when he looked about as welcoming as a gargoyle. Sometimes he didn't even realise he was frowning, but today he'd had cause to. The knowledge that he was still as broken even with the passage of time further cemented that his retirement was permanent. "That's kind of you," he remarked, letting her know that it was appreciated. "I guess coming home was a bit harder than I thought it would be," he admitted, avoiding the issue that was really troubling him.

"What brings you here?" he asked, sterling gaze watching her curiously. The frown didn't leave his features, but it was less intense. He wondered if she was a student or professor attending the college here. His mother had loved the college even though she couldn't afford to attend herself, resorting to sneaking into lectures and borrowing books that she didn't know how to read. Elora's passion for learning had not passed on to Argent. He'd had to mature quickly and find work as soon as he was of age so they wouldn't go hungry anymore. Dreams didn't fill bellies after all.

Merrin Etherea
Undecided

renown

Diary of Merrin
posted 10-28-2021, 06:08 AM - Word count:

Merrin tilted her head curiously, wondering why it was that returning home was difficult for him. Then again, thoughts of returning to where she’d originally come from made her ill and so at least in this way she could find herself able to relate without being privy to his reasoning. “You hail from Melrose, then?” She asked instead, not wanting to linger solely on the negativity that he seemed to draw from being here.

He too questioned her presence here and she faltered for a moment. After swift consideration, she decided that she could be honest with him. Merrin cast her gaze outward to the many rolling hills of the meadows of flowers, the sight of them enticing a soft smile upon her lips. “I dare say, I am new to Rionnach as a whole so I have been journeying across the lands to familiarize myself with this region. It’s important for me to know and better understand all of the different territories where I am while I’m training.”

@Argent

Royalist

renown
Large • Berries

fall on your sword
posted 10-31-2021, 07:56 AM - Word count:

T

he wrinkles in his brow softened a little and although memories of his past were a delicate issue for him due to the loss of his mother he was comfortable discussing the subject of his home. Grey eyes glanced over the place he had called home for the first year of his life before meeting her lilac gaze again and nodding. ”I was born here,” he admitted. Although his arctic fur and grey eyes were classic lowlander traits, appearance wasn’t always indicative of origin. ”Used to live right over there,” Argent said, nodding his large head to an overgrown patch of weeds that obscured the entrance to his old family den. His mother had worked for weeks to save up for their own den. Before that they’d relied on the charity of others to shelter them from the worst weather conditions, but that was when they got lucky. He remembered many cold nights shivering against his mother.

The woman mentioned that she was new to Rionnach. She wouldn’t be the first outlander he’d come across, but he could never shake his curiosity of what kind of places these outsiders called home. Instead of asking about where she’d come from he found himself more intrigued by her training. He respected a wolf that was dedicated to their craft. ”Maybe I can help,” he offered, rolling his shoulders to show that it was no big deal. It wasn’t like he had anything else to do other than brood. ”What kinda training is it?” he asked so he had a better understanding of what information would be useful for her.

Merrin Etherea
Undecided

renown

Diary of Merrin
posted 11-01-2021, 05:28 PM - Word count:

Merrin perked up, clearly interested to know of the male’s origin once he’d revealed he was native to these lands. Thus far, she’d not met so many that had grown up here, but had found home in Rionnach as she was beginning to. “Oh!” She blinked with surprise when he gestured to the exact den they were standing near, that was the remnants of his childhood. “My word, you literally mean you were born here.”

She peered over at the space, trying to imagine this rather sullen gentleman as a gleeful pup at play just outside the entrance. “Well, I do hope there are fond memories you hold dear in those days past.” Merrin shared a gentle smile, without speaking, her eyes telling him that she understood fully what it was to also have memories that plagued him rather than brought him joy.

Her ears swiveled to attention as he offered what help he might have to offer. Merrin had noticed that he appeared to be of a warrior’s build. Perhaps there was knowledge he could impart on her that would lead to her future success down the line.

She took a breath and lifted her chin a bit higher as she announced with pride. “I’m to be a knight one day.” She faltered slightly with a sheepish half-smile and lowered her voice to a whisper as though she were sharing a secret meant only for his ears, “I do have quite a long ways to go though…”

@Argent

Royalist

renown
Large • Berries

fall on your sword
posted 11-07-2021, 07:39 AM - Word count:

T

here was something about her pleasant nature and good manners that brightened Argent enough for her surprise to stir a rumbly laugh from deep within his broad chest. It was cut short when his ribs began to ache returning him to his somber self. "Yes. Haven't been back for about..hmm three years," he realised, shaking his head in bewilderment. Had it been so long? The last time he was here he was just a yearling lad full of hope for the future. He remembered his mother covering his face in kisses telling him to be a good boy for his commanding officer. Oh he had blushed and pushed her away, but he would do anything to be that lad again with his mother to fuss over him.

"Bittersweet," he told her gruffly. It was the grief that soured the sweetness. Grief that he actively avoided dealing with. He wouldn't have returned here if the doctor hadn't insisted on seeing him. Before the army medics had handled his healthcare, but now he was a civilian again the college was in charge of that.

She blossomed upon informing him that she was training to be a knight although she wilted slightly when she divulged that she had a long way to go. "A noble calling," he remarked, obviously impressed by her vocation. "I was a soldier once. It's hard work, but very rewarding," Argent explained, eager to know more about her work.

"I'm Argent," he paused from their discussion to introduce himself, offering her an awkward dip of his head.

Merrin Etherea
Undecided

renown

Diary of Merrin
posted 11-13-2021, 09:25 AM - Word count:

Merrin noted the emotion dancing in the man’s silvered orbs and as he described it all as bittersweet, she nodded. Her lips parted as though she were going to say something, but she closed her mouth slowly, deciding against it.

What she had wanted say was something along the lines of ‘I understand.’ or ‘I know how that feels.’. Did she though? She thought it best not to overstep her bounds, when she did not truly know the story of his origin.

She could not help but swell with pride when he complimented her path of choice. Noble indeed! She thought so too. Merrin’s lavender orbs widened, sparkling with wonder upon finding out that he had been a solider, which was certainly similar to knighthood, if not the same entirely. Part of his statement made her tilt her head and she tentatively pressed upon it, “You were a solder?”

Ah, and of course, at the rate she was going, she would know about his troubles and his childhood without first even knowing the male’s name. Merrin bowed her head apologetically. “Oh, dear, Argent…I do apologize, I’ve been so rude not to have introduced myself!” She lifted her head once more and smiled. “Merrin, is my name. It’s lovely to meet you, truly.”

@Argent