scent
Pine & Pages
supporting
Jacobite
writer
Jamie

A R Y T H M E T I K
He wasn’t a hunter.

He should have asked Grigori to come with him.

He started to wonder if this was a grave mistake.

Crawling through the maze of low branches, Professor Arythmetik followed the sound of frogs in the distance. Thick, gnarled roots blocked the path on the ground while twigs clawed at him from overhead. Any sane wolf would turn back before they were hopelessly lost in the maze. But Aryth was a Lowlander, born and raised. Even though he didn’t have parents to pass down stories, he’d listened closely to rumors and local legends from a young age. He knew there was a secret marsh called Wyrwood just beyond the mangrove trees, and if he could reach it, many rare specimens of frogs lay in wait. He wanted to find them for two reasons: one, the skin of dried frogs was said to have healing properties, and he felt obligated to provide new medicines in the aftermath of the heatwave; two, the biologist in him yearned to document new species.

Still, as Aryth’s paws squished into the wetlands, a chill ran up his spine. Perhaps they should have called this place Wyrmwood--it certainly looked like the playground of devils and witches. The scholar sighed softly. Before he could chicken out, a prolonged riiibbit snared his attention. His ears perked and he turned to the sound of the frogs, scanning the waters hopelessly. The earthen hues of his coat granted him camouflage, but the amphibians had the same advantage. “Well,” he whispered, “here goes nothing…”

code by claerie

@Nimue @Rhiannon
04-09-2022, 01:24 PM

W.I.T.C.H.

size
Large
scent
Summer rain, honeysuckle, and jasmine
supporting
Voxi
wanted for
Escaping Dungeon, Avoiding Enlisting
writer
Supernova

W

yrwood was a place of unusual power that Nimue was fortunate to have discovered. It was felt in the squishing of mud between in her toes, in the mists of the bog that caressed her fur, even in the talons of the trees that seemed to try to reach for her as she waded through the marsh waters. The witch absorbed every bit of it as she had ventured further inward, cresting the shore of the grove of trees.

She was reluctant to move herself from her element, but as she stepped onto this land a tingling sensation moved up from her paws, rolled down her spine, and spread throughout her body. All around there was a vibration about and it spurred her onward, each step with more of a spring until the woman drenched in a gown made from the murky water began to dance.

She threw her head back, her own chorus of joyful laughter lifting into the air. Nim whirled about in a circle.and swayed to the beat of her own drum. She only came to pause when she felt another presence roam into this space. Turning her head to peer over her shoulder, she spotted the very familiar form of a man she held in high esteem. "Aryth!"

Nimue pranced over to him, touching noses with him in a friendly greeting, her eyes sparkling with the life she felt coursing through her veins. "Isn't it incredible here? Come, come! Dance with me!" She circled him, giving him encouraging nudges with her muzzle against his flank sides. Then with an enchanting smile, she hopped away with the gracefulness of a doe, looking back at Arythmetik and beckoning him with a tilt of her head.

@Arythmetik @Rhiannon

art and code by Yahtzee-Penguiduck

04-10-2022, 02:25 PM

Professor

size
Medium
scent
Pine & Pages
supporting
Jacobite
writer
Jamie

A R Y T H M E T I K
A peel of laughter echoed through the fog, and Arythmetik froze. His fur stood on end and his eyes widened, slowly scanning the gnarled branches behind him. Ghosts aren’t real…fairies aren’t real… Could it be the call of a mysterious swamp bird? But he could have sworn it sounded like the voice of a wolf. A dozen unfamiliar smells clambered for attention in his nostrils, and Aryth didn’t recognize the sound or scent of his friend until she was practically upon him. He gasped audibly and jumped out of the water, making a small splash as Nimue pranced toward him. “Oh!” he cried, breathing deeply and sighing. “The Lady of the Lake, woman of waters. I should have known.”

He smiled, but as she got closer, he realized there was something…intense about her aura today. Nimue was always lively, of course, but the energy burning in her eyes was something otherworldly. Something a bookish male didn’t understand. He chuckled nervously as she nudged and tapped him, feeling a bit like he’d walked into the middle of someone else’s story. “It’s, er, a truly unique biome.” Nimue seemed more interested in dancing than talking, her silken fur flinging bits of mud and bogwater in all directions. He stumbled a little, but strode closer to her when she beckoned, almost as if he couldn’t help himself. The scholar didn’t know what else to do. This wasn’t his forte–he hadn’t even danced at the ball last year. “I’m not the best dancer, but I’ll…try… Wait, what are you doing out here, Nim?”

code by claerie

@Rhiannon
@Nimue
05-03-2022, 09:50 AM

Priestess

size
Medium
scent
Lavender and bonfire smoke
supporting
Voxi
threadlog
encounters
writer
Rilo

Rhiannon had been a prisoner of the king for weeks, relegated to the tomb-like jails. Had she done anything wrong, truly? Only if they believed in the witch’s curses, as she did – words uttered for the downfall of the false king and his pretentious family, utterances meant to stain the monarchy, one so deserving of punishment. She had not yet heard news of the king’s freakish daughter, but Rhiannon would be rightly pleased to know that her curse had been effective, after all. But was it worth the weeks stripped of her liberty?

On the she-wolf’s left shoulder, perched stoically, was a large crow with shining black eyes, waiting for instruction. Her voice was low and gravelly from want of use: ”Find Nimue.” The dark bird’s head tilted forward in acknowledgement before taking to the skies to find the enchantress. Rhiannon would follow in the crow’s shadow, amethyst eyes searching, anticipating.

The crow brought her to Maiden’s Braid. It was good to tread on known soil, for the Lowlands had long been her abode. But something felt a little off this time. Perhaps it was only the drought. Her anticipation and excitement increased with every step. What she would find, however, left Rhiannon incredulous: Nimue was indeed there, but so was another wolf, and one familiar to the enchantress. And they were… dancing? A huff escaped as she tread into the open, head held high.

”Nimue,” she greeted curtly, though her eyes were fixed upon the brute whose true name she had forgotten, but not the circumstances of their initial meeting. ”And Belladonna, what an unexpected meeting, all the way out here.” The smile she offered was disquieting. "How have you fared these weeks -- both of you?"

art & code by alexandre
05-03-2022, 11:36 AM

W.I.T.C.H.

size
Large
scent
supporting
Voxi
wanted for
writer
Supernova

H

er self-given title spoken from the tongue of the sheepish male filled her with life. She bowed deeply when he addressed her as such and when she rose once more, her eyes caught his attempting to share the sparkle they held with his own. "My dearest poet." The Lady of the Lake practically sung the endearing term, overjoyed to once more cross paths with him.

Herding him along to the dance that awaited them both, she had to pause at his description of this mystical wood. She threw her head back with melodic laughter before leaning against his shoulder and peering over at him in disbelief. "A biome? Quite the professor you are, good sir." Nimue teased him lightly and when she moved away, she was delighted to hear the footsteps trod behind her. When she spun back around with a twirl of mirth to face him, her stormy blue eyes were alight with an otherworldly possession it seemed. "Here is only the very best place to be, is it not?"

A flutter of wings stole her attention for a moment and she lifted her eyes up further, narrowing them slightly as her ears perked forward at attention. And then a voice turned her head slightly, familiar...yet not familiar at all. No matter...whatever spell the marshland fae had her under was no match for the amethysts that immediately pulled her in. Her nose wrinkled to hear another name she did not know and she glanced over at Aryth with an inquisitive look. "Belladona? What on earth earned you that name?" She chuckled softly before locking eyes with the other woman once more.

She had the intention of brushing past her colleague to greet the gem that was Rhiannon, but faltered in her greeting when she noted the tone of voice and the odd smile upon the maw of the wolfess before her. She studied her sister of the night for a long moment, trying to discern what it was that had put her in such a mood. Eventually, she proceeded in bridging the distance, trotting over to Rhiannon and offering a kiss on each cheek, leaning in with the last one and whispering softly, "The days grow weary and nights long and cold without you near..."

Nimue then withdrew, giving her dearest friend a once over before repositioning herself nearest Aryth. "The Fall has been quiet since the Summer's heat and Winter fast approaches. Perhaps there will be another gala for us to attend, hm?" A grin pulled at the corners of her mouth as she eyed the two of them with a glint of mischief crackling like lightning in her deep blue orbs.

@Arythmetik @Rhiannon

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2022, 06:46 PM by Nimue.)
05-03-2022, 06:46 PM

Professor

size
Medium
scent
Pine & Pages
supporting
Jacobite
writer
Jamie

A R Y T H M E T I K
Arythmetik laughed nervously once more, sensing something like zealotry in his friend’s eyes, in her voice. “Do you mean fate?” He meant it to be playful, but he wasn’t the best actor. The professor didn’t believe in things like fate. But perhaps he should have. Just at that moment, before Nimue had a chance to respond, a crow’s fluttering, ebony feathers snatched their attention. Aryth whipped around to see a surprising and familiar pair of violet eyes staring back at him. His own emerald gaze widened, then narrowed suspiciously when the stranger called him ‘Belladonna.’ So, this woman knew Nimue. The Lady of the Lake didn’t seem at all perturbed by ‘Siren’s’ eerie and calculating grin. Aryth straightened, drops of murky water clinging to his thin legs, as he watched the two women embrace.

When Nim returned to his side, as spunky and pleased as a pup, Aryth explained. “‘Siren’ here wasn’t too happy when I found her collecting deadly nightshade in Melrose. Though I suspect that isn’t her real name, and her business is none of mine.” Aryth’s brows contorted with concern as he glanced between the two witches, none the wiser about their true beliefs and intentions. “My name is Arythmetik, by the way, if you’ve forgotten.” The professor cleared his throat. “Does this…meeting…have something to do with what you told me about the other day, Nim?” He’d had plenty of time to think about her Voxi ideals. And plenty of time to think about how very little the King actually did to help the people. How the King had never actually answered his questions about foreign aid… How the King was essentially absent and useless during this crisis…

code by claerie

@Rhiannon @Nimue <3
05-21-2022, 11:24 AM

Priestess

size
Medium
scent
supporting
Voxi
threadlog
encounters
writer
Rilo

S

till, the wolfess was unable to deduce the nature of the relationship shared between Nimue and the brute. But her attention was captured away from Belladonna when the water goddess drew closer, offering a kiss to her cheek. Rhiannon allowed herself to relax into the embrace of her dear friend, the whispered voice of Nimue eliciting a shiver.

But just as soon as she had come closer, Nimue returned to Belladonna’s side. The brief smile was gone from her muzzle, but it returned as the male began to speak of their last encounter. ”On the contrary, I was rather impressed by your knowledge. It is important to know, after all, and most of your kind are ignorant.” By your kind, she meant male – naturally. He offered his name again, and despite her misgivings, Rhiannon paid a bit more attention to this introduction than the last. ”You will forgive me, I hope, for my disguise. Many like you have different intentions, you see. One must be cautious.”

Aryth inquired about the meeting, and though Rhiannon was not certain what he alluded to, it was enough of an invitation for the enchantress to reveal her recent whereabouts. Her expression clouded once more, anger alight in her violet eyes: ”I have been a guest of the great and merciful king of the lands,” she began, cynicism and animosity on her tongue. ”The heat was less oppressive in his prison, but it was not done as a kindness during the drought. I could not count the days, as daytime and nighttime bleed into one deep in the earth, where his ilk banishes those who dare to challenge his legitimacy.”

She shook her head, still outraged, but a sly grin replaced her scowling impression.
”He knows – he knows his days on the throne are dwindling. And, it seems, they believe in the curses of strangers like myself. But what they should truly fear is Voice.”

@Nimue @Arythmetik

05-24-2022, 09:33 AM

W.I.T.C.H.

size
Large
scent
supporting
Voxi
wanted for
writer
Supernova

A

look of intrigue was cast in the direction of Rhiannon with the mention of her not-so-stealthy gathering of nightshade. A corner of her lips quirked in a knowing smirk on her maw and she glanced between the two of them curiously. While her relationship with Aryth was relaxed, playful, yet with an air of a philosophical connection...there was obvious tension between the man and the other sorceress. Nevertheless, Nimue chuckled lightly at the two of them and their banter, no matter the toxicity that lingered beneath. "Belladonna, Siren, and Lady of the Lake...what a trio we are."

As Rhiannon attempted to make a stab at her colleague's intelligence, Nimue recognized this was likely due to her obvious distaste toward men. The torrent of her ocean eyes caught the other woman's amethyst hues, transmitting a defensive warning as she leaned against the male. "Well, Aryth, is a professor. He is as learned as they come and is a wonderful teacher and mentor. Perhaps you might learn something from him too, if you opened your mind to it."

Nim was quick to move along from the subject, however, immediately honing in on Aryth's question regarding Voxi. "As farfetched as this might sound...Rhiannon and I tend to stumble across one another in the most untimely and unconventional ways...no matter how convenient this appears...this meeting was far from planned." She sought her oldest friend's eyes once more pleading for her to leave her prejudices behind. Not all men were their enemies, least of all this one.

When Rhiannon began to describe her recent affairs, Nimue's stormy eyes narrowed, brows furrowing in deep thought before they flashed with recognition. She distinctly recalled the cold, dark cells of that unforgiving dungeon and imagining Rhiannon having spent more time there and by herself no less, wrenched her heart. There were nights that the other woman's tormented screams haunted her nightmares and she would have done anything to keep the other enchantress from the clutches of the Imperials. "Rhiannon, why...how did you end up there again? What were you thinking?" She moved closer to Rhia, her own features had contorted into genuine concern and fear for friend, wanting nothing more to embrace her, but knowing this was not the time nor the place.

@Arythmetik @Rhiannon

05-24-2022, 04:29 PM

Professor

size
Medium
scent
Pine & Pages
supporting
Jacobite
writer
Jamie

A R Y T H M E T I K
Twice the violet-eyed woman referred to “his kind,” and Aryth’s initial reaction was confusion. He blinked, the lines of his lips curling in tempered distaste. Does she mean collegiates? But the professor quickly realized (since Nimue was, of course, a member of the College now too) that the stranger wasn’t referring to his guild. She meant his gender. The male’s emerald eyes widened slightly. “Siren’s” skepticism made more sense in this new light, and being naturally empathetic, Aryth couldn’t help but wonder what triggered her distrust. He parted his jaws, then paused: he wasn’t sure what to say. He wasn’t sure if he could say anything that would ease the tension, anyway.

His brow was still furrowed with concern (and a measure of his own distrust) when Nimue stepped in to defend him. His frown melted away. Nim’s kind words nearly brought a smile to his face, but he remained stoic out of respect for the woman across from them. Aryth could sense that the two were quite close, and he didn’t want to appear superior. “Thank you, both of you,” he replied calmly. Then his head swiveled in Nim’s direction, and he quirked one eyebrow. “You mean to say this is all happenstance!?”

He turned back to look at the violet sorceress, a bit shocked, and she explained where she’d been “hiding” since their last meeting. Again, a pang of sorrow tugged at him. He didn’t really know this woman, but Nimue seemed extraordinarily concerned. And would Nim care so deeply for someone who didn’t deserve her trust and affection? Picturing the poor she-wolf rotting away in a dark dungeon for weeks on end was…appalling, to say the least. And now he knew the woman’s real name: Rhiannon. Like the legendary queen. Both monikers were fitting in their own way. Aryth swallowed heavily. His ears flattened against his skull, and he asked tentatively, “Does this…have anything to do with the deadly nightshade you collected? Or were you simply imprisoned for vocally supporting, er, the Voice?” He couldn’t imagine such a steep punishment from such a gentle King, and yet, the bloody rebellion kindled his earliest impressions of Adamh. Maybe the kindness was an act. Maybe it always had been.

code by claerie

@Rhiannon @Nimue
05-29-2022, 03:11 PM

Priestess

size
Medium
scent
supporting
Voxi
threadlog
encounters
writer
Rilo

N

imue sang the praises of Belladonna – or, rather, Aryth – and Rhiannon eyed the brute with lingering suspicion. But Nimue’s opinion held some sway over her friend’s prejudices, and so, finally, Rhiannon allowed herself to relax – a little, anyway. ”A professor, eh?” But the enchantress knew only what life had taught her, not the opinions or lessons of others. It was peculiar, still, this College business, but she left the topic alone for now.

The male seemed quite surprised that, as implausible as it seemed, it was fate alone that brought them together that night. ”Happenstance, perhaps. I prefer to see it more as a sign — a gift from the unseen.” Although the unseen had provided a bit more than Rhiannon would have preferred in the present… It was well enough to have found Nimue, especially once the other femme learned of Rhiannon’s recent whereabouts, down in the king’s jail cells. She smiled, despite the dungeons, despite the brutes, as Nimue drew nearer to her. Nimue chastised her softly for finding a way back to the jail, and for a moment, Rhiannon was quiet as she rested her chin on Nimue’s shoulder.

Belladonna – no, no, he was called Aryth, but this would prove a challenging habit to alter on Rhiannon’s part – inquired about their past encounter, and whether collecting the toxic plant had been part of a nefarious plot against the monarchy. ”No, I was not collecting nightshade for the king – though it is not a terrible idea,” she mused aloud, and a chuckle escaped before she became serious again. ”No, it was as simple as words spoken, for you see, signs of resistance must be quashed. It is the very hallmark of tyranny. Any thoughts against the king are as real as threats, and must be removed. And a citizen who has found their Voice…” Her words tapered off but her eyes were fixed upon Aryth, awaiting some signal that her veiled sentiment was understood by the male.

@Nimue @Arythmetik

06-18-2022, 08:23 AM
Thread Closed